Police Department Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Arlington Police Department located?

108 4th Ave. NW
(Mailing: 204 Shamrock Drive)
Arlington, Minnesota
Fax: (507) 964-2737

Emergency: 911
Non-Emergency: Arlington Police Department (507) 964-5200
Sibley County Sheriffs Department: (888) 880-5467

Should I call 911 for a Non-Emergency?

Non-Emergencies should contact Arlington Police Department first at (507)964-5200. If needed the Sibley County Sheriff’s Department is toll free (888)880-4567 and they will contact an officer for you.

When should I call 911?

Whenever a response from police, fire, ambulance or animal control is needed. This is true for all responses, even non-emergencies. The dispatch facility for Arlington is the Sibley County Sheriff’s Department. If you call the Arlington Police Department during non business hours, you will be asked to hang up and dial 911.

Does Arlington Police Department have a policy for Body Worn Cameras?

The Arlington Police Department does have a policy for Body Worn Cameras.  Click this link to access a copy.

Do door-to-door peddlers need a license in Arlington?

Arlington Ordinance 243 says that the practice of going in and upon private residences within the City of Arlington, by solicitors, peddlers, hawkers, itinerant merchants and transient vendors of merchandise, not having been requested or invited to do so by the owner or owners, occupant or occupants of said private residence, for the purpose of soliciting orders for the sale of goods, wares and merchandise and/or for the purpose of disposing of and/or peddling or hawking of the same, is hereby declared to be a nuisance as a misdemeanor.

The practice of selling goods, services, wares, produce or merchandise on city streets or any public property is prohibited, unless a permit to conduct such activity has been issued by the City of Arlington, it being in the public interest to avoid the traffic hazards, parking congestion and health hazards that such practices create if unlicensed. Permits for such temporary sales may be obtained upon application to the City Office. Forms and Fees for such permits shall be set from time to time by the City Council.

Does the City have a noise ordinance?

Yes, Arlington City Ordinance 161 says that any person who causes or allows loud music or other disturbing noises to originate from his property in an unreasonable manner or at unreasonable hours which would tend to alarm or disturb the peace and tranquility of his neighbors shall be guilty of creating or maintaining a public nuisance. Noise or Music sources located on the yard or other portions of the property outside the structures of a person’s property after the hour of 1:00am in the morning shall be considered a public nuisance. It shall also be considered a public nuisance if any noise or music sources can be clearly heard from a distance of more than 50 feet at any time of day or night. If a violation occurs and it is impractical to contact the noise originator, contact the Police Department at (507)964-5200 or Sheriff’s Department at (888)880-4567.

What can I do if I see an abandoned vehicle in my area?

Abandoned or junked vehicle complaints are handled on a case-by-case basis. Report the information to the Police Department at 964-5200 and they will have an officer investigate the situation. Arlington Ordinance 180 says that no vehicles may be parked or stored on the premises which are inoperable or unlicensed, unless such vehicles are kept in a fully enclosed structure or fully enclosed manufactured licensed trailer, so that no part of the vehicle can be viewed by the public. Licensed Off-Road Vehicles (ORVs), All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) and, Off-Highway Motorcycles (OHMs) as defined in Ordinance No. 179, shall not be parked on a street or on private property for more than 48 concurrent hours within a 7-day week time period, unless such vehicles are kept in a fully enclosed manufactured licensed trailer, so that the public can view no part of the vehicle. Car parts, accessories, tools, and other items used to work on, repair, or otherwise used for said vehicles shall also be subject to the above conditions. Snowmobiles shall not be parked in front yard of any residential property for more than 48 concurrent hours within a 7-day week time period. We encourage residents to park snowmobiles either in covered building, a covered manufactured trailer, or in the back of the resident’s property. No vehicles may be parked or stored on the premises which are advertised for sale or rent, except that one vehicle maybe advertised for sale or rent as an isolated personal transaction, and not in the ordinary course of business of sale or rent of vehicles, and such vehicle advertised for sale or rent must be operable and licensed.

If I am involved in a car crash, do I need to call the police?

You need to contact the police department if a personal injury is involved, or there is public property damaged in the crash. Police do not have to be contacted for minor property damage accidents. However, if you feel that an officer’s presence is desirable, please call 911 and explain the situation to the dispatcher. (Example: the other driver does not have insurance or proper Identification, or appears to be under the influence of a controlled substance) It is required that you file a report with the State of Minnesota if the total damage between both vehicles exceeds $1,000. These report forms are available at the Arlington Police Department.

Do I need to license my pet?

Arlington City Ordinance 172 says that all dog and cats kept or held within city limits must obtain a license from the City and pay the required license fee, which is set by the City Council from time to time. Proof that the dog or cat has been vaccinated for rabies must be presented at the time the license application is made. Licenses are to be obtained no later than 30 days after the animal is first acquired to be kept or housed within city limits. Such licenses expire March 31 of each year, and owners are given a month grace period in which to renew said licenses, which are to be renewed no later than April 30 of each year. The full year license fee is payable for any part year the animal is kept or held in city limits, and there shall be no refund of the yearly license fee for any animal that dies or is removed from city limits prior to the expiration of the 12 month license issued. Animal License applications can be picked up at the City Office located at 204 Shamrock Drive in Arlington.

Also there is a Pet Number Limitation. No person or entity shall keep or house in the City of Arlington more than two adult household pet animals of any species. An adult animal is defined as an animal of breeding age. For example, a person can keep two adult dogs and two adult cats, but not three adult animals of either species. The immature offspring of the allowed adult animals may be kept or housed until they reach breeding age, at which time they must be immediately removed from the premises. For purposes of this section, neutered or spayed animals, which have reached breeding age, shall be considered adult animals, even though they have been altered and cannot actually breed. This section shall not apply to small animals subject to close confinement at all times in a cage or aquarium, such as small birds or fish.

Can I park in the street?

On-street parking is allowed. There is no parking on Main Street between the hours of 2 and 6 a.m. Also, there is no parking on posted emergency routes between the hours of 2 and 6am.

What is the ordinance for snow removal cover?

The City of Arlington will be hauling and plowing snow anytime there is a snowfall of two (2) inches or more.  We ask that all residents park all vehicle(s) and trailer(s) off the streets and avenues until they are plowed curb to curb, or they will be ticketed and towed.  In accordance with the terms of Section 4 of Ordinance 216, vehicles that interfere with City maintenance activity, such as snow removal, may be towed to a designated area at the expense of the owner.  The vehicle may be impounded until all parking fines, towing and storage charges have been paid.  Unclaimed vehicles shall be sold and the proceeds applied first against such fines and charges.  Repeat violators will be towed without additional notice. Also Arlington Ordinance 178 says that any accumulation of snow or ice upon any public sidewalk is hereby declared to constitute a public nuisance, which shall be abated, by the owner or occupant of the property abutting such sidewalk within twelve (12) hours after such snow or ice has ceased to be deposited upon such sidewalk.

What are the requirements for obtaining a handgun permit?

To apply for a Permit to Acquire (purchase) a handgun or a Conceal Carry Permit you must:

  • Contact the Sibley County Sheriff’s Office (888) 880-4567.
  • Be a resident of the City of Arlington;
  • Be at least 21 years old;
  • Fill out the appropriate paperwork; and
  • Pass all of the background checks done on you as required by Minnesota State Statures.

Can I get fingerprinted at the Police Department?

Fingerprinting services are no longer provided by the Arlington Police Department.  Contact the Sibley County Sheriff’s Department at (888) 880-4567 to schedule an appointment.

Is the use of snowmobiles or all terrain vehicles allowed within City Limits?

Arlington City Ordinance 179 says that it is unlawful to operate an off-highway vehicle on any lands owned or occupied by a public body or on frozen waters, including school grounds, park property, playgrounds, recreational areas, private roads, platted but unimproved roads, utility easements and public trails. The Council may, by resolution, specifically permit use on city property, in which event, the shortest route to and from areas so permitted may be used. At a rate of speed greater than 15 miles per hour or faster than is reasonable or proper under all of the surrounding circumstances. Between the hours of 12:00 a.m. (Midnight) and 6:00 a.m. A complete, printed copy of this Ordinance is available for inspection by any person during the regular business hours of the City Office.

What is the Arlington curfew law?

  • Arlington Ordinance 41 gives the following times for City Curfew:
  • Children under the age of 16: Home by 11 p.m.
  • Children 16-17: Home by 12 midnight
  • The only exception allowed is when a minor is attending or returning from a school sponsored function and has the permission from his/her parents to attend said function.

The City Code is also available at the City Office on Shamrock Drive (507)964-3278. If you have a question about an ordinance not listed here, you may also call the Police Department at (507)964-5200.