Arlington Historical Society

 

 

 

Beginnings and Progress:

A Look Back at the First Four Years

 

 

October 1999 – December 2003

 

 


BEGINNINGS

 

            In April 1999, the Arlington City Council unanimously approved a motion to develop a five-year plan for the city of Arlington.  The City invited its citizens to participate in a forum to look at the various aspects of the community, and in May 1999, approximately 25 people attended that first meeting.  From that initial meeting, a planning committee was formed to do a self-study, in which every aspect of the city was considered.  That group met over the next several months and developed a Long-Range Plan for the city listing various goals or objectives for the next several years.  Each of those goals was then assigned to the appropriate committee or organization. 

            One of those objectives in that long-range plan was the “Rehabilitation and Preservation Goal Statement.”  This statement provided the directive to preserve the history of Arlington by restoring or preserving buildings which reflected the city’s history.

 

Rehabilitation and Preservation Goal Statement:

      With the growing attention to and concern for our past, the best interests of Arlington would be served by the city undertaking and supporting those activities which would preserve its history for future generations.  Activities related to this goal will include:

      1. Rehabilitation and preservation efforts should be focused primarily along the Main Street of Arlington.  The first few projects should include the old fire hall, the old bank building, and the Les Morreim building.

        Responsibility:  Historic Task Force Committee

        Timing:  Ongoing

      2. Rehabilitation and preservation efforts should also extend out to the existing housing stock and neighborhoods.

        Responsibility:  Historic Task Force Committee

        Timing:  Ongoing

 

 

HISTORIC TASK FORCE COMMITTEE

 


            Because there was no existing organization responsible for this objective, the Historic Task Force Committee was created, and subsequently, Mayor Dave Czech appointed Curtis Boeder, Greg Goblirsch, Dwight Grabitske, Mike Spannaus and Pauline Wiemann to the committee.  The only directive to the committee was the “Rehabilitation and Preservation Goal Statement” which provided the focus and outlined the work for the committee.


            The committee met for the first time on Monday, 25 October 1999, and the first order of business was to select officers; Curt Boeder was elected Chairman, Mike Span­naus, Treasurer, and Dwight Grabitske, Sec­retary.  The committee also looked at its name and decided to change the name of the committee to Arlington Historic Restora­tion and Preservation Committee, to better reflect the purpose and focus of the commit­tee, and the first priority of the committee was the restoration of the facade of the old Fire Hall.

Photo from Dwight Grabitske Collection, 2000

Curt Boeder, Mike Spannaus, Greg Goblirsch, Dwight Grabitske


            The committee had contacted architect Jim Goblirsch, who was experienced in historic building restoration, and Mr. Goblirsch advised the committee to contact the State Historic Preservation Office for guidance on procedures to be followed enabling the project to be eligible for grants.  He also advised that the group needed to have an organizational structure and stated that we needed to contact other historic preservation groups doing similar projects to learn from their experiences.  He also recommended that the group have an 8 x 10 picture of the Fire Hall.

 

 


ARLINGTON HISTORIC

RESTORATION AND PRESERVATION COMMITTEE


 

            The committee established short-range objectives to get the project started:

     1.  We needed pictures of the Fire Hall as it once appeared;

     2.  We needed a working drawing of the building, as it now appears and as it originally appeared;

     3.  We needed to learn about the materials for the restoration work, where to get them and the costs;

     4.  We needed to learn about becoming a tax-exempt organization to carry out the restoration work.

 


 Photograph from Dwight Grabitske Collection, 1999

 

Photograph from Dwight Grabitske Collection, 2001


Photographs of the building before the restoration work was started


            A plea for old pictures of the Fire Hall was published in the Arlington Enterprise, and some pictures were received, including a postcard photograph from about 1900 showing the facade of the building.  The Arlington Village Council minutes of 1890 were examined for any evidence they might contain about the structure.  A member searching through old newspapers found a picture in the very first issue of the Sibley County Enterprise, a newspaper formed by the merger of the Arlington Enterprise and the Sibley County Republican.  That first issue featured the village of Arlington, and among the pictures of village buildings was a wood-block drawing of the old Fire Hall as it appeared in 1890.  Although the copy in the newspaper was poor, that drawing was restored and became part of the news release in December informing the citizens of Arlington of the activities and goals of the committee.  That drawing, which also appears on the cover of this document, continues to be a part of the Arlington Historical Society publications.  The Minnesota Historical Society also provided a photograph showing the building as it appeared in the early 1950’s.  That picture showed some of the changes made over the years, including the addition of a roll-up door replacing the original wood hinged door.


            Before the old Fire Hall facade could be restored, it was necessary to have a work­ing drawing of the build­ing as it ap­peared in 1890 so that planning for the ac­tual work could be done.  At the January 2000 meeting, after reviewing the proposal by Ar­chitect James Goblirsch of Quinn Ev­ans Architects to do the drawings for a fee of $2,000.00, the committee rec­ommended to the city council that the proposal be ac­cepted.  The council ap­proved the expen­diture, and Mr. Goblirsch was contracted to make the drawings.

            Because many key features of the origi­nal building were still in place, meas­urements were taken from these existing fea­tures, and Architect Goblirsch, working from the pictures and building measure­ments, pro­duced drawings showing the building as it was in 2000 and the proposed restora­tion, its 1890 appearance.  Along with the drawings, the architect provided estimated costs for the proposed resto­ra­tion work.  The initial esti­mated costs to restore the building were $151,624, pro­vided all materials were pur­chased and the work was done without vol­unteer labor.  Depending on what volunteers would do, the la­bor costs could be reduced.  Material costs could also be reduced if we could find used brick instead of buy­ing new brick for the project.


 


 

            Because it was clear from the very beginning that the members of the committee did not have the expertise necessary to accomplish the work of restoring the old building, outside assis­tance was needed.  Similar projects which were completed or were in still in progress would pro­vide us with examples of what steps we needed to take before the restoration process could begin. 

            The committee’s first request for help went to the Gibbon Restoration Society and its Presi­dent, Carol Isakson.  In January of 2000, members of the Historic Task Force Committee met with Carol Isakson and also with Jory Isakson, the Mayor of Gibbon, who spoke about the role of the city in the project and the importance of the city’s interest in the project.  Carol Isakson, speaking from her experience on the Gibbon City Hall restoration project, which is ongoing, pro­vided great direction for us.  She spoke of the importance of community involvement, getting local businesses and community groups involved in the project.  She also told of the assistance that the Minnesota Historical Society (MHS) provided in their project, and informed us that MHS has a great staff which can provide guidance on any part of the restoration work.  She advised us to (1) get the building on the National Register of Historic Places and (2) become a 501 (c) non-profit organization.

            The next step was to meet with Charles Nelson, the Minnesota Historical Society Archi­tect, and also with Susan Roth, who is the State Historical Society representative to the National Register of Historic Places.  The first thing we learned was that the building would not qualify for the register of historic places because too much has been done to change the appearance of the building.  We needed to restore the facade to its 1890 appearance before it would qualify for the register or for any grants.  Although disappointed that our project would not qualify for any MHS grants, the committee still felt that it could accomplish the project with community support through a variety of fund-raising programs and historical grants from organizations or foundations outside of MHS.

 

 

ARLINGTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY, INC.

 

            Before the Arlington Restoration and Historic Preservation Committee could become a 501 (C) tax-exempt organization, it had to become a corporation first.  Once organized as a corpora­tion, the corporation could apply to the IRS for tax-exempt status under the 501 (C) rules.

            The filing of the paperwork for incorporating the group was the easy part; the city attorney, Ross Arneson, provided the necessary forms and all that was needed was the signatures of two of the officers.  The president and secretary signed the Articles of Incorporation on 6 March 2000.  It was at this time that the legal name of the committee was changed to the Arlington Historical Society, Inc. so that it would fall within the guidelines of a corporation, as recognized by the State of Minnesota, and that the organization could then apply for the non-profit status.  The first read­ing of the by-laws was in April 2000, and in May 2000, the by-laws were read and approved. 

            The paperwork for the non-profit part was more extensive.  The Internal Revenue Service sets the guidelines for non-profit organizations, and in the application for the tax exemption status, it is necessary to explain in detail why the organization should be given tax exempt status.  The Gibbon Resto­ration Society again assisted us by providing a copy of their IRS forms so that we had a model to work with.  All of the papers were finally assembled and sent to the IRS in September, and in De­cember, the IRS approved the tax exempt status for the Arlington Historical Society.  With the tax-exempt status, the Arlington Historical Society could now ask for donations which the contributor could claim on the tax form; the society could now purchase items for the project without the added expense of a sales tax.


RESTORATION WORK

 

THE FIREMAN STATUE

            The monumental task of restoring the faćade of the entire structure began with the small step of restoring the old metal fireman statue which adorned the top of the Fire Hall tower from 1890 until September 1966 when the city removed the tower before remodeling the building.  The statue was stored in the new fire hall.  When found in 1999, the statue was badly in need of repair; the years of exposure to the elements had taken their toll.

            Because the Arlington Historical Society had neither skill nor expertise to restore the old metal fireman statue, the society contacted the Minnesota Historical Society for assistance.  Charles Nelson advised the society to contact Brian F. Leo, a master metal smith who had done metal restoration work for historical projects in Minnesota.  Mr. Leo, after examining the statue, estimated that the cost of restoring the old fireman statue would be $3,000, nearly the cost of the entire building 110 years earlier.  The city of Arlington provided the down payment on the statue restoration and work was begun.  Because the metal had been worn thin in places by exposure to the elements over the years, Leo had to reinforce parts of the statue with fiberglass before it could be restored.  The restoration work took most of 2001, and Leo finished the statue in December.


            Once the statue was restored, the society needed to display it, but because it was considered too fragile to be left in the open, it needed to be protected.  The society decided that the best way to protect it was to have a case made especially for it.  Mr. Vrklan, the Sibley East shop teacher, was contacted and agreed to make the case.  The society provided the materials for the case, and by July 2002, the fireman statue was on display at the Arlington State Bank, where it remained until December, when it was moved to the Council Chambers in the Arlington Com­munity Center, where it remains today.

            Because of the fragile nature of the original statue, the Arlington Historical Society is considering keeping the original statue for a display as a historical artifact in the

Arlington Enterprise, Thursday 11 July 2002


Community Center or a city museum, if one is ever established.  A replica made of fiberglass would be placed on top of the restored tower.  When queried about the use of a replica, Charles Nelson informed the society that such a replica would be acceptable and would not reduce the chances for the building being placed on the National Register.  In fact, the restored fireman statue could be considered a work of period art and therefore being placed on display in a museum would be appropriate.

 

THE BRICK

            Because the original brick for the lower portion of the building had been removed and was no longer available, the Arlington Historical Society began looking for places where brick which could be used to restore the faćade to its 1890 appearance could be found.  The initial search brought more dead ends than positive results.  Companies which deal in used brick were contacted, and members visited their facilities, but none of the companies had anything to match.  The society considered the possibility of having bricks made to match the bricks of the period, but Ochs, the only Minnesota manufacturer of brick, could not guarantee an exact match, so that idea was ruled out in favor of finding some from a renovation or demolition of a building of the same period.


            The big break in the search for brick came in November 2001 when it was learned that a brick house owned by Tom Pfarr was about to be torn down.  The house was on the former Raymond & Evelyn Pfarr farm about two miles east of Arlington.  Tom Pfarr, son of Raymond & Evelyn, was contacted about the brick, and Mr. Pfarr donated the brick to the Arlington Historical Society for the Fire Hall restoration project. 

            The house was demolished, and the brick were left at the Pfarr place until the spring of 2002, when members moved the donated brick to President Boeder’s farm where they could be placed on pallets and stored until needed.  But before the donated brick could be used, the brick needed to be cleaned; the old mortar clinging to the brick had to be removed.  The cleaning process was very time consuming, because the brick were brittle and the mortar held very tight.  Over the months members donated their time cleaning the brick, and on Saturday 15 June 2002, members of AAL Branch 115, as a com­munity service project, donated their skills to help clean the bricks.  Over 2,500 brick from the old Pfarr house were cleaned and made ready for use in the restoration.

Arlington Enterprise, Thursday 21 November 2002


            The brick from the Pfarr residence filled a major part of the need, but those brick would not be enough to do the project, so the search for brick continued.  In October 2002 a member found a place at Menomonee, Wisconsin, to get brick that would match.  The cost of the brick would be 20Ę a brick (not cleaned) and 40Ę a brick (cleaned).  An additional 1,000 brick were purchased, and members transported the brick from Menomonee to Arlington to be stored until they were needed. 

 

THE UPPER STORY

             The Arlington Historical Society decided that it could not do the entire faćade all at once, and thus it split the restoration into two parts and focused on the second story of the building first.  The AHS had enough money to buy the four windows and have them installed and to do the brick work.  It was thought that if people could see some progress on the restoration work, there might be more interest and then more financial support for the project.

 


            In 2001, the AHS had asked for a bid from Buzz Matz of CMC Construction to clean the brick and do the tuck pointing. The bid for labor and materials to saw out the joints, repoint the brick with matching color mortar, and to clean the brick was $2,830.00.  It was decided that the brick work had to be done before the windows could be installed, so in August 2001 the AHS informed CMC Construction that it had accepted their bid.

            CMC Construction began the work in November 2001, removing the old mortar.  However, the weather became too cold to do any cement work, and that part of the project was put on hold until the following spring.  In July 2002, the tuck pointing of the building was completed, and in August the Arlington City Council paid for the tuck pointing of the building because the council considered the work part of their maintenance work on the building.

Arlington Enterprise, Thursday 18 July 2002


 

 

            Once the brick work was done, the windows could be installed.  The work of installing the windows was given to Travis Tuchtenhagen Construction who completed the work a month after the brick work was done.

 

 

 


            The AHS asked Haggenmiller Lumber and Marvin Windows for a bid on the windows for the building in 2001.  Initially the bid was for doing the entire project, all the windows and the door on the main level.  The society had received a bid for the seven-window project of $5,431.33 from Haggenmiller Lumber in June 2001, but in 2002, the society opted to just do the second story and ordered only the four windows for the second floor.  The cost of those four windows, three rectangular ones and one with a curved top, was $3,213.10.  The windows arrived in May, and mem­bers of the society, assisted by members of AAL Branch 116, painted the win­dows before installation, as recom­mended by the manufacturer.  The new windows were installed in August.

Photo from Dwight Grabitske Collection, 2002

Upper story after the windows were installed


 

 

THE LOWER STORY

            With the work on the second floor complete, the focus of the AHS was now on the work on the lower floor.  That work was scheduled for 2003, but the lack of funds resulted in that being delayed.  Once enough funds were obtained to begin the project, there was another delay because of the Police Department’s concern for the security of the building.  The Police Department offered a proposal to renovate a portion of the inside first, which would keep the building secure, and afterwards the work on the exterior could be done.  The estimated cost of renovating the inside to secure the police department was $12,085, which the city council approved.  This work can be done over the winter months, and the AHS can begin their portion of the work next spring.  The AHS plan to remove the old brick, to install new windows, a new walk-in door, a simulated fire engine door and to replace the brick faćade making the building look as it did in 1890. 

 

 

THE TOWER

            The final portion of the restoration work will be the reconstruction of the tower which should take place in 2005.  That part of the restoration may also be the most expensive because it will require the input of a structural engineer.  The tower will be constructed to resemble the original tower, but it will not be required to carry the additional weight of a bell.  Once the tower is in place, a fiberglass replica of the fireman statue will be placed on top of the tower.

 

 

 


HISTORIC SIGNIFICANCE

 

            Once the faćade of the old Fire Hall is restored to its 1890 appearance, the Arlington Historical Society will work toward getting the building recognized as a historic structure and placed on the National Registry of Historic Places.  The historic significance of the building is its place in the history of Arlington and the surrounding community.  For it was in this building, decisions and plans relating to government, business, and even social life were made affecting the various aspects of Arlington, Sibley County and even the areas beyond.

 

Arlington Village Council Minutes of October 27, 1890, authorizing payment for the “city hall.”

 

            The Fire Hall, built in 1890 for the sum of $3,114.40, is one of the oldest structures in Arlington, and the building has been in continual use by the City of Arlington for more than a century.  Originally called the “Fire Engine House” and built to house the Arlington Fire Department, the building quickly became the meeting place for the Arlington Village Council as well as the Fire Department.  By the time the village council paid the bill for construction, it became known as the City Hall, and thus as the City Hall, it was the seat of government for the village. 

            Recognizing the value of the space on the second level for meetings, the Village Council approved a five-year rental agreement with the Lodge of Independent Order of Odd Fellows in December 1890.  Within a very short time, the building became the meeting place for many other organizations as well.  Some of the organizations which used the facility regularly for meetings were: the Arlington Building and Loan Association, the Arlington Baseball team, the Arlington Canning Company (for annual stockholder meetings), the Arlington Commercial Club, the Arlington American Legion, the Arlington Auto and Good Roads Association (later called the Arlington Automobile Club), the Arlington Creamery Association, the Sibley County Poultry Association, and The Sibley County Agricultural Asso­ciation, also known as the Fair Board.  In addition to regular organizations, the City Hall hosted one-time special events, such as seed shows for the farmers and the Sibley County Democratic Primary.  In 1912, there was even a church service and a funeral held at the City Hall.


            Adaptations were made to the build­ing over the years to accommodate various organizations and activities.  In 1909, the city built a platform stretching out over the side­walk at the sec­ond story of the building so the community band would have a place to play, and for one of the attractions at a Sibley County Fair, a wire was stretched to the top of the fire hall tower from the op­posite side of the street for a tight-rope walker to scale.  In 1912, the upstairs was remod­eled to ac­commodate the Arlington Commercial Club for their meeting room.  The old wooden door for the fire engine was re­placed with a roll up door.  In 1966, the fa­ćade on the lower level of the building re­ceived a facelift with new brick, the tower was re­moved and the interior was remodeled for use by the police department.

            Even with all the alterations, the basic structure of the building did not change.  The large stones which marked the places for the doors remained in place.  The key stone in the archway above the fire engine door re­mained in place.  The lintel over the door and window remained in place.  The upper level remained pretty much as it always had been except for the windows which were made smaller and the extra space filled in with wood.  There was no doubt that this structure once served as a fire hall.

 

 

Arlington Fire Hall, ca. 1952

Detail from Minnesota Historical Society Photograph of Arlington Main Street (M55.9/AR/r13) – Used with permission


            The Fire Hall/City Hall has certainly been a significant part of Arlington history and at times Sibley County history, and the building needs to be recognized for its role over the years.  In so doing, the history of the community comes alive with a life-sized picture of the past in the heart of the city.

 


PUBLICITY

 

            The Arlington Historical Society has been ever mindful of keeping its name before the community.  The Arlington Enterprise has reported, from the very beginning, on the activities of the Arlington Historical Society, and has kept the citizens of Arlington informed of the society’s progress.  The society has always received front-page coverage, frequently with a picture relating to the story.  In addition to the coverage in the Arlington Enterprise, the initial activities of the society were covered in a story by the New Ulm Journal, 15 January 2000, and the Arlington Historical Society restoration work was featured in the April 2001 issue of the Minnesota History Interpreter, a Minnesota Historical Society publication for county and local historical societies.

            In addition to the publications, members of the Arlington Historical Society have presented their project to members of the Sibley County Historical Society, the Arlington Lions, and other community groups.

            The society sponsored a car in the Arlington Town & Country Days Parade in August 2000, advertising the historical society.  A 1931 Ford, owned by a member of the society, carried a sign advertising the society, and the members wore straw hats of a bygone era.

Photograph courtesy of Sandy Kurtzweg, 2000                  

            The society has also participated in the Arlington Senior Expo in both 2002 and 2003.  At the Arlington Town & Country Days celebration in August 2003, the society sponsored a table from which the reprints of the first issue of the Sibley County Enterprise were sold first.

            One of the on-going projects of the Arlington Historical Society is the procuring of photographs of former Arlington mayors and presidents of the village council.  The society has the photographs copied, with permission of the family providing the picture, and presents the copy to the city of Arlington for its photo gallery of former mayors.  To date, the society has obtained photographs of Nick Thomes, who served three two-year periods between 1908 and 1916, and Theodore Streissguth, who served between 1896 and 1900.  The society has compiled a list of the early mayors and presidents of the village council, and the society continues to seek pictures which can be placed in the gallery of past leaders.  The society has made proposals for a city-wide celebration to mark its Sesquicentennial in 2006, and two members of the society serve on that committee as well.

 

 

 

FUNDRAISING EFFORTS

 

            The initial expenses of the committee were assumed by the Arlington City Council, which had established the committee.  When the architect was hired to do the working drawings for the restoration project, the committee approached the council which approved the $2,000 fee for architectural services.  The council then authorized an additional $1,500 for expenses which might exceed the original fee.  The incorporation fee, accounting fee, and miscellaneous expenditures associated with the architectural drawing used $1,185.00 of the authorized amount.

            Meanwhile, the committee was working on fund raising ideas.  An idea of selling a product promoting the Arlington Historical Society (AHS) was ruled out mainly because of the start up costs; basically, we had no funds to work with.

            The society opted to approach the community asking for donations directly, and the committee drew up a list of people and businesses to approach.  To assist with the fund raising the committee designed a brochure, explaining the restoration project and the need for funds, and designated various levels of financial support.  Donations, which were made before the actual fund raising efforts began, provided the start-up funds for the brochure printing.  The initial contacts were made in March 2001, and the first responses were generous, in spite of the fact that the Arlington Hospital was fund raising at the same time.  By the end of May, over $7,500 had been raised.  The fund raising drive continued throughout the summer, but the donations were smaller and a little farther apart.  That first year fund raising efforts were considered successful and bought in $9,735.00 from 33 contributors, both businesses and individuals.  Part of the fund raising effort included a pledge card on which gifts for additional years could be indicated.

            The fund raising effort in 2002 started a little more slowly and was aimed at those individuals who indicated support but opted for a later date and those who had pledged for multiple years.  The main part of the fund raising drive did not begin until July, but the donations which came in during the second half of the year were very good.  Gifts for the year 2002 totaled $10,460.00 from a total of 32 businesses, civic organizations, and individuals. 

            In 2003 the efforts to raise funds for the restoration work went a little slower.  The focus of the plea for donations was again aimed at those who had indicated their interest in the work of the society but had not yet donated to the project.  The follow-up on the pledges from previous years was also made.  Gifts for the year totaled $3,515.00 from 24 individuals, civic organizations and businesses.

            Since the beginning of the fund raising drive in 2001, 113 donations from 72 contributors (individuals, businesses, organizations, etc.) have resulted in a total of $20,280.00 raised for the project.  In addition, the City of Arlington has provided $7,615.00 ($4,185 direct payments & $3,430 in reimbursements) for the project.  The number of people, organizations and businesses who have made multiple gifts over the past three years shows the wide-spread support for the project.   Some donors have even made pledges of gifts for the next few years showing their continued support for this community project.

            Excluding the City of Arlington, two donors have given more than $1,000.00 each; five donors have each given $1,000.00, six donors fall in the $500-$900 range.  The mean donation is $100.00, and excluding the amounts provided by the city, the average donation is $191.53 (each gift), and the average donation (multiple gifts for one business, organization, person, etc.) is $303.71.  A listing of all contributors is on page 14 of this report.

            The fund raising efforts initially had focused on donations to the society, but in late 2002, the society began looking at another way to raise funds.  A member proposed reprinting the first issue of the Sibley County Enterprise, which was the newspaper created by the merger of the Arlington Enterprise and the Sibley County Republican.  That issue had a number of pictures showing some of the Arlington buildings in 1890 and told about the times.  The original newspaper had a total of eight pages, but only the four pages which had Arlington-related items were reproduced.  Work on the newspaper reprint was completed in July, just in time for the Arlington summer celebration.


            The Arlington Historical Society published the  four-page copy of the 21 May 1891 Sibley County Enterprise and offered it to the public for $5.00 a copy as a fund raising event.  AHS had 1500 copies printed and first sold the reprints at the Arlington Town & Country Days celebration in August.  The sale of the reprint was advertised in the Arlington Enterprise and the Arlington Shopper, and for a dollar postage and handling, the reprint could be sent anywhere.  By September the AHS had its expenses covered, and the AHS was showing a profit on the publication.  One former Arlington resident bought four copies, and after he had given those away to his relatives, he ordered two more so he could have a copy!   

 

 

 Arlington Enterprise, Thursday 14 August 2003


            Reprints of the Sibley County Enterprise are still available for $5.00 at the Arlington City Office, the Arlington Enterprise office, and the Arlington State Bank, or may be purchased through the mail by sending a check for $6.00 ($5.00 plus $1.00 for postage and handling) to:

 

Arlington Historical Society, Inc

Post Office Box 925

Arlington, Minnesota 55307

 

            The fund raising efforts are continuing.  There have been pledges for annual donations for the next few years, and funds will be needed until the restoration work has been completed.  The most expensive part of the project is still ahead, the restoration of the tower.

 

 

 


MEMBERSHIP

 

            The members of the committee are appointed by the mayor and Arlington City Council; each January the council appoints the members for the ensuing year.  The members, themselves, elect a president, secretary and treasurer.  The president appoints or designates committees for specific tasks as needed; an example of this would be the fund-raising chairman appointed for that specific task.

            The first members appointed to the committee were Curt Boeder, Greg Goblirsch, Dwight Grabitske, Mike Spannaus, and Pauline Wiemann.  In January 2001, Bobbi Latzke was welcomed as a new member to the society.  Paulette Wentzlaff was also appointed to the society for the purpose of assisting the organization with writing grants.  In January 2003, Don Nuessmeier and Dennis VanMoorlehem were welcomed as new members to the society.  In March 2003, Bob Pichelmann was also welcomed to the society.

            In March 2003, the society designated Gail Nuessmeier as caretaker for the genealogical material collected by the society.  A file cabinet was placed in the Arlington Public Library for storing the material collected.  Gail is also working on a collection of obituaries from past issues of the Arlington Enterprise for the genealogical collection at the library.

            In September 2002, Mike Spannaus tendered his resignation because of health reasons, and Greg Goblirsch was appointed treasurer to fill out the year.  Bobbi (Latzke) Zaske resigned her position in March 2003 because of her work.  Don Nuessmeier submitted his resignation from the board at the end of 2003.  Paulette Wentzlaff no longer attends society meetings.

            The society has discussed the possibility of having “associate members” because some people in the community have express interest in helping with the work of the society but are not interested in attending meetings.  The position of caretaker or curator for the genealogical materials could be considered as an “associate member.”  In the future there will probably be other tasks which could be assigned to an associate member.

            The current board members are:

President: Curt Boeder ................................. 964-5894

Treasurer: Greg Goblirsch ............................ 964-2861

Secretary: Dwight Grabitske ........................ 964-5878 ....................................................................... ddgrab@frontiernet.net

Pauline Wiemann  ......................................... 964-5981

Bob Pichelmann  ........................................... 964-2854

Dennis Van Moorlehem  ............................... 964-5733

 

 

MEETINGS

 

            The Arlington Historical Society meets at the Community Center at 10:00 a.m. on the first Monday of each month, except when that Monday is a holiday; in that case the monthly meeting is the following Monday.  All meetings are open to the public.

 


DONORS

 

            The following listing is all the donors to the Arlington Historical

Society since the fund raising efforts began.

 


Aid Association for Lutherans Branch 116

Archie & Cecelia Battcher

Arlington Chamber of Commerce

Arlington Chiropractic

Arlington Haus

Arlington Lions Club

Arlington State Bank

Arlington Veterinary Clinic

Battcher & Aero Electric Construction

Brau Motors

City of Arlington

Dale R. Bode

David & Linda Welch

David & Mary Hennies

Dean H. Bergerson, MD

Dennis & Mary Spurling

Dennis P. & Kristine J. Schultz

DJ's Shoes & Repairs

Dr. Michael & Mary Noack

Ellerd & Barbara Mathwig

Frank N. Haupt

Gary & Mary Hultgren

Jeff & Sue Pinske

Jerry's Home Quality Foods

Joseph Thomes

Kevin & Katherine O'Brien

Kolden Funeral Service

Kreft Cabinets

Lensing Insurance Agency, Inc.

Louis D. Sickmann

M.J. Neisen Asphalt, Inc.

Marilyn A Bright

Marvin & Charlotte Kopischke

McLeod Cooperative Power Association

Minnesota Valley Electric Trust

Mr. & Mrs. Arnold Grove

Mr. & Mrs. Curt Boeder

Mr. & Mrs. David Czech

Mr. & Mrs. Don Nuessmeier

Mr. & Mrs. Dwight Grabitske

Mr. & Mrs. Edward Warweg

Mr. & Mrs. Greg Goblirsch

Mr. & Mrs. Larry Sorenson

Mr. & Mrs. Leslie Morreim

Mr. & Mrs. Peter Archer

Mr. & Mrs. Robert Bade

Mr. Dale R. Bode

Mr. Lloyd Bethke

Mr. Stanley Cina

Mrs. Elaine Breitkreutz

Mrs. Gail Kill

Mrs. Georgianna Roth

Mrs. Joan Pinske

Mrs. Louise Sunderman

Mrs. Marella M. Klitzke

Mrs. Margaret Cina

Mrs. Marion M. Lynch

Mrs. Rosemary Thies

Ms. Carrie L. Johnson

Ms. Pauline Wiemann

Nerud Law Office

Pinske Real Estate & Auctioneers

Reetz's Floral

Reflections, Phyllis Kroehler

Ross R. Arneson, Attorney-at-law

Schad, Lindstrand & Company

Shear Designs, Kathy Haggenmiller

Sheila Lynch Arneson

Technical Services for Electronics

This Old House

Thomes Bros Hardware

Wayne & Louise Quast

Y-NOT Plumbing & Heating


 


DONATIONS:

 

Year                             # Gifts                                     Amount

2001                                38                                        9,735.00

2002                                44                                      10,460.00*

2003                                31                                        3,515.00

TOTALS                       113                                     23,710.00*

* Includes $3,430 check from the city for building maintenance.

 

 

Sibley County Enterprise Sales & Expenses:

 

Income:                       Expenses:                                   Net:

660.00                            406.03                                     257.97

Note: All of the printing expenses for the Sibley County Enterprise reproduction have been paid. 

Except for any new advertising, all costs for that fundraiser have been paid and all sales will

now go directly toward building restoration.  The net is included in the checking account part

of the Assets listed on the last page.

 

 

2000 EXPENSES:

 

DATE

PAYEE

EXPENSE

AMOUNT

4-03

Curt Boeder

Incorporation Fee

70.00

6-20

Shad, Lindstrand

Accountant Fee

50.00

7-06

Quinn Evans

Architect Fee

2,000.00

9-06

Quinn Evans

Drawing Fee

500.00

9-18

Curt Boeder

Drawing Framing

65.00

11-06

IRS

Tax Exempt Fee

500.00

 

 

 

 

 

TOTAL EXPENSES

 

3,185.00

All 2000 expenses were paid by City of Arlington

 

 

2001 EXPENSES:

 

DATE

PAYEE

EXPENSE

AMOUNT

1-8

Shad, Lindstrand

Accounting Fee

170.00

1-8

Arlington Enterprise

Advertising

172.53

3-5

Brian Leo **

Fireman Statue

1,250.00

6-4

Arlington Enterprise

Advertising

200.88

9-10

City of Arlington

Building Permit

40.00

12-03

Brian Leo

Fireman Statue

1,750.00

 

 

 

 

 

TOTAL EXPENSES

 

3,583.41

 

ACTUAL EXPENSES

 

2,533.41

** City of Arlington paid $1,000.00

2002 EXPENSES:

 

DATE

PAYEE

EXPENSE

AMOUNT

6-1

Arlington Enterprise

Advertising

90.00

7-1

Haggenmiller Lumber

Windows

3,213.91

7-1

Primrose Distributing

Paint

44.49

7-1

CMC Construction #

Clean joints, re-point brick & wash brick

2,830.00

7-1

Travis Tuchtenhagen #

Window Installation

806.00

8-1

Brian Leo

Consulting Fee

70.00

10-1

Thomes Bros.

Painting Supplies

13.57

10-1

Haggenmiller Lumber

Stain Supplies

18.94

 

 

 

 

 

TOTAL EXPENSES

 

7,086.91

 

ACTUAL EXPENSES

 

3,656.91

# City of Arlington paid as building maintenance expense $3,430.00

 

 

2003 EXPENSES:

 

DATE

PAYEE

EXPENSE

AMOUNT

3-3

Dennis VanMoorlehem

File Cabinet for Library

70.00

4-7

Chamber of Commerce

Dues

37.50

5-5

Tim Dothseth

Brick

200.00

9-8

Arlington Enterprise

Advertising

60.00

9-8

Arlington Shopper

Advertising

30.60

9-8

Arlington Enterprise

Printing of 1891 Enterprise

296.43

11-28

Arlington Enterprise

Advertising

19.00

12-01

Franklin Printing

Folders

22.50

 

 

 

 

 

TOTAL EXPENSES

 

736.03

 

 

 

EXPENSES SUMMARY:

 

YEAR

City of Arlington Expenses

Arlington Historical Society Expenses

Total

2000

3,185.00

 

3,185.00

2001

1,000.00

2,533.41

3,533.41

2002

3,430.00

3,656.91

7,086.91

2003

 

736.03

736.03

 

 

 

 

TOTALS

7,615.00

6,926.35

14,541.35

 

 


ASSETS (31 December 2003)

Checking Account

2,226.25

Certificate of Deposit (due: 6-18-2004)

7,072.87

Certificate of Deposit (due: 5-04-2004)

5,008.51

Certificate of Deposit (due: 12-09-2004) - Sesquicentennial Committee

500.42

 

 

Totals

14,808.05

 

 

DESIGNATED

Building Restoration Work

14,307.63

Arlington Sesquicentennial Committee

500.42

 

 

Totals

14,808.05