Now Hiring: Full-time Police Officer

City of Arlington

Police Officer

$20-28/hr depending on experience

General Duties:

The Police Officer is responsible for the protection of life and property through the enforcement of the law consistent with federal and state law, municipal ordinances and according to the policies of the City of Arlington utilizing the community policing philosophy. Police Officers work to form partnerships with the community and other service providers, perform problem solving based on community identified issues and perform community outreach to a diverse citizen constituency. 

Minimum Requirements:

  • Associate Degree in Law Enforcement, Criminal Justice or equivalent.
  • Licensed or eligible to be licensed (academic and skills training completed) by the Minnesota P.O.S.T. Board.
  • Maintain a primary residence within twenty minutes’ drive of the City within six (6) months of employment.
  • See additional requirements in the job description.


Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.  First round of interviews will be conducted on April 26, 2018.


Click here for full Job Description

Click here for Job Application







Arlington Child Care Loan Program

The Arlington Child Care Loan Program provides an incentive to new child care providers to provide services in the City of Arlington.

The program provides a matching forgivable loan for actual expenses relating to the cost of opening a child care business in the City of Arlington, up to $1,000 per child care provider. Qualifying expenses must be approved by the Sibley County Child Care Licensor and the Arlington EDA Director. Approved requests will be funded on a first-come/first-served basis until all funds are expended. In addition, the opportunity exists that the Arlington Economic Development Authority’s revolving loan programs could be available to assist with the costs of opening a child care business.

1. Only new child care providers located within the City of Arlington are eligible for the loan program.

2. All items for which the child care provider is requesting funds must be approved by the Sibley County Licensor and the Arlington EDA Director.

3. Items purchased prior to EDA approval will typically not be eligible for funding unless the EDA finds significant underlying purposes for work beginning prior to project approval (i.e. inability of quorum for a meeting, and the like).

4. Funds may be requested for the following items (up to):
 Licensing fee ($100)
 Background study fee ($100)
 Pre Licensing training ($175/per person)
 Ongoing training ($250/per person)
 Fire Marshal visit, if needed ($50)
 Smoke Detectors ($10/each)
 Fire extinguishers ($35 )
 Outlet plugs ($4)
 Stationary baby gate ($60)
 First aid kits ($15)
 Utensils/plates/cups ($30)
 Pack n Play ($120)
 Pack n Play sheet ($10)
 Cots ($120)
 High chair/booster seat ($40)
 Fluid Cleanup kit ($15)
 Potty seat/chair ($20)
 Monitor ($40)
 Toys for each age group ($200)
 Craft supplies ($200)
 Strollers ($100)

5. Other uses may also be eligible if prior approval is obtained by the Sibley County Licensor and the Arlington Economic Development Authority.

Program oversight and authority for loan approval is delegated to the City of Arlington Economic Development Authority. The Economic Development Authority shall review loan applications and may approve loan issuance after considering the following guidelines:

1. Completed applications will be reviewed on a first come, first served basis.

2. Preference will be given to projects which:
 Will create new child care slots and reduce the gap in the number of child care slots in the City of Arlington.
 Demonstrate a ratio of private investment to public investment greater than 2:1

3. The proposed expense receipts must be submitted within (6) months of loan approval. If the receipts are not submitted within six months, the Applicant may resubmit a child care loan application for reconsideration.

Following loan approval the Lessee shall execute a promissory note. Awarded loan funds will be dispersed to the child care provider upon submittal of receipts or invoices for supplies purchased.

The amount of the loan (without interest) will be due and payable to the Arlington EDA one (1) year following the distribution of loan funds. If, however, the child care business to which the loan was granted remains in business in one (1) year following the distribution of loan funds, the loan shall be forgiven by the Arlington EDA.


Click here for full loan details and loan application. 


The WARMER temps have arrived and the graveled alleyways are starting to become soft very quickly.  They cannot handle large garbage trucks driving on them.  Arlington City Staff is asking all residents to place their garbage cans and recycling containers street/curbside.  The garbage companies have been contacted and asked to refrain from driving through the graveled alleyways until such time as they have had a chance to dry out (possibly 1-3 months depending on the spring).  This will become effective Monday, March 19th and continue until further notice.

Areas with cement alleyways are exempt from this notice.


City of Arlington
Maintenance Supervisor Kirby Weckworth

Pet Tags Due

In accordance with the terms of the City Code, Chapter 11: 

–PETS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO RUN AT LARGE WITHIN THE ARLINGTON CITY LIMITS.  They must either be leashed or cabled/chained, kenneled or in a fenced yard and not allowed to roam freely.

–All domesticated pets (dogs and cats) must be licensed.  All licenses issued in 2017 will EXPIRE MARCH 31ST.  Please stop by the City Office before April 1st to obtain a 2018 pet license.  The cost for a pet license is $5.00.  A health certificate showing that the pet is current on its rabies vaccination is required.  (Due to the Spring vaccination schedule, your pet may not be due for vaccinations until after April 1st, you should still license your pet in March to avoid late fees.  You will be permitted to bring the health certificate in at a later date.)

–Licensing your pet assures that it will be taken care of and returned safely if it gets loose and then picked up by the Police Department.

–A total of 3 adult (includes spayed or neutered) pets are allowed per household (i.e. 3 dogs, 3 cats, or a combination thereof).

–If you have lost (ran away, gave away, died) a pet within the last year, please notify the City Office so we can remove the pet from our current listing.  We will be following up on our listing of pets again this year with the help of our local Police Department.

–Any person or entity found to be in violation of this Ordinance shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine, plus all veterinary impoundment and boarding charges, and in the case of destruction of an animal, any veterinary charge for said service. 


By Order of the Arlington City Council



Business Website Help?

2018 City Council Goals

2018 Arlington City Council Goals

Economic development

  1. Acquire access to the south Industrial Park
  2. Conduct a housing study to identify the type of housing needed within the City
  3. Take steps to improve business retention and attraction


  1. Work to resolve the limited radio reception throughout the City
  2. Research options for replacing existing City phone system
  3. Review Information Technology Services based on customer service and functionality.

Strategic management

  1. Conduct a strategic planning process with input from the public
  2. Update the existing Capital Improvement Plan (CIP)
  3. Develop a five year budget process

Organizational effectiveness

  1. Develop staff and management team
  2. Scan documents for retention in a management system and discard hard copy records.
  3. Streamline departments through updating job descriptions and cross-training

Resident house watch information

Are you going away for the holidays or going on vacation this winter? Would you like the police to watch over your house when you are gone? Please fill out this form and return it to the Police Department at 108 4th Ave. NW. Take the stress out of your vacation.

Click here for the form. 

2 in Snow Fall Notice


VEHICLES, TRAILERS – The City of Arlington will be hauling and plowing snow anytime there is a snowfall of two (2) inches or more.  We ask that all residents park all vehicle(s) and trailer(s) off the streets and avenues until they are plowed curb to curb, or they will be ticketed and towed.  In accordance with the terms of Section 4 of Ordinance 216, vehicles that interfere with City maintenance activity, such as snow removal, may be towed to a designated area at the expense of the owner.  The vehicle may be impounded until all parking fines, towing and storage charges have been paid.  Unclaimed vehicles shall be sold and the proceeds applied first against such fines and charges.  Repeat violators will be towed without additional notice.

SIDEWALKS – Per City Ordinance 178:  Accumulation of snow or ice on public sidewalks constitutes a public nuisance.  It is unlawful for any person to remove snow or ice from private property and place on public property.  The property owner or occupant of the abutting property is required to remove snow and ice from all public sidewalks within 12 hours after such snow or ice has eased to be deposited upon such sidewalk.  Failure to remove the snow or ice within 24 hours may be a cause for the City to do so itself.  If the City, or an agent assigned by the City, has to remove the snow, the City will bill the property owner accordingly.  Unpaid bills for snow removal will be a cause for a special assessment against the property.

BUSINESS DISTRICT PARKING – In the event of snow accumulation, vehicles are to PARK PARALLEL TO THE STREET in the business district (Main Street and side streets) until such time that the entire street (curb to curb) has been cleared of snow.

DUMPSTERS – No dumpster shall be placed in the public right-of-way during the winter snow season, which is defined as the period from November 1 to the next following April 1.

SNOWMOBILES & ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLES (ATVs) – City ordinance requires that snowmobiles and ATVs must use public roadways, streets, or alleys by the most direct route when entering or leaving town.  Snowmobiles and ATVs are not to be operated on sidewalks or boulevards, nor are they to be operated on private property without prior consent of the property owner.  No snowmobile or ATV shall be operated on any cemetery land or city park or recreation area.  Speed is not to exceed 15 miles per hour within city limits.  Also, please be aware that the TC&W Railroad, Minnesota Prairie Line, and Minnesota Valley Rail Authority prohibit snowmobiles and ATVs to operate on or traverse their property.

If this snowmobile/ATV ordinance is violated, a fine will be imposed or the City Council will consider eliminating all snowmobile and ATV travel within the City limits.

Thank you for your cooperation.




Lead in your Drinking Water?

Recently ten homes in our community had their household drinking water tested for lead and copper, and the testing was conducted under rules adopted by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. However, a few of the samples that were taken used improper sampling techniques, and therefore the City does not believe that the results accurately reflect the water supply system. As a result, more than ten percent of the homes tested, were above the federal action level for lead in drinking water. The City has undertaken the required corrective actions of public notification and an on-going education program, as well as increased testing requirements.


In promoting public awareness, we’ve included the enclosed brochure Important Information about Lead in your Drinking Water. The brochure provides information on the potential health effects, possible sources of lead in your drinking water, and simple steps to take to protect yourself from lead exposure.


What to do during a Power Outage?

Power Outage

Please contact City of Arlington Staff immediately when you are experiencing a power outage.

**DO NOT contact McLeod Cooperative Power, they cannot help you! **

Monday-Friday (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.) 507-964-2378
Emergency After-Hours (anytime) 507-327-6601

*In the event of a mass power outage, the “After-Hours” phone may be busy due to the amount of phone calls coming in. Customers are encouraged to leave a detailed message during this time and City Staff will call you back when they can.