History

The City of Arlington is located in eastern Sibley County and was laid out in 1856.  Records show that the name was officially approved at a town meeting held on May 11, 1858, which is the same date that Minnesota became a state.  At that time, both the village and the township received the name Arlington.

German settlement of the area began with the immigration of homesteaders in the 1860’s and 1870’s.  The population of Arlington continues to be of predominately German descent.

In 1948, Arlington was incorporated as a “Home Rule Charter” city.  Revisions of the charter occurred in 1982 & 2008.  Arlington was designated as a Minnesota Star City in 1990 and Tree City USA in 2008.